Key figure linked to VIP network questioned behind bars over allegedly abusing ‘Darren’

By Tim Wood | 18 June 2015

“I was ordered to have sex with Napier on two other occasions when he visited Peter on the estate” – Darren, on Peter Righton and Charles Napier

Police have interviewed paedophile Charles Napier in prison over fresh evidence first reported on Exaro of child sex abuse.

Officers visited the former teacher behind bars to talk to him about allegations that he sexually abused a 15-year-old boy, known only as “Darren”.

They interviewed Napier at Wandsworth prison on Monday for around half-an-hour, according to sources close to the case.

Darren told Exaro: “I am very glad that after all this time Napier has finally been interviewed. In the past, I have felt that Suffolk police were not taking my allegations seriously.”

In January, Darren became the third witness to give an account to Exaro of how prominent people carried out child sex abuse at Dolphin Square, the apartment complex favoured by MPs near Parliament.

Darren also said that Peter Righton, former government advisor on child care, took him to Dolphin Square to be abused by men, but had also forced him to give oral sex to Napier at Thornham Magna, the estate in Suffolk of the late Lord Henniker, a former UK ambassador.

Napier is half-brother to John Whittingdale, who was appointed as culture secretary following the general election.

In December, Napier was jailed for 13 years as a result of police investigations into a network of prominent people who sexually abused children. Napier pleaded guilty to 31 charges of sexual assault against 23 boys aged between 8 and 13. He is expected to die in jail.

Judge Nicholas Loraine-Smith told Napier at sentencing: “You gravely abused your duty by systematically grooming those boys for your own purposes.”

Tom Watson, Labour MP, suggested in Parliament in 2012 that Righton was central to a paedophile ring linked to senior political figures. Righton, who was later convicted of possessing obscene images of children, died in 2007.

Suffolk Constabulary, under ‘Operation Millpond’, is investigating Darren’s allegations about Napier and Righton – and those that centre on the county. Meanwhile, it has referred his allegations about Dolphin Square to ’Operation Hydrant’, which is co-ordinating police investigations into child sex abuse across the UK.

But Darren is frustrated about what he feels is a lack of co-ordination between forces. “I want police to tell me, which force is dealing with which allegations,” he said.

“I had a very bad experience with Suffolk police when I first contacted them in 2013. I believe that they set out to humiliate and discredit me, and I still have trust issues with them. It is vital that they give me straight answers to my concerns.”

Darren gave to Exaro a disturbing account of his first meeting with Righton while doing doing work experience at Thornham Magna. Righton  was with his friend, Napier.

Darren said: “Peter had the run of the place. If he wanted something done, he could order it. I was delivering wood to his cottage, and he beckoned me in. A man I now know to be Napier was standing in the lounge. I was given a soft drink, and then Peter brazenly ordered me to give Napier oral sex.

“I refused, and Righton then attacked me. He knew how to hurt you without leaving marks. He was very, very good at what he did. I was kicked and punched in front of Napier, who stood there smirking.

“I had no choice, and did as I was told. That was the first time he struck me, and it left me terrified of Righton, who carried an air of menace about him. I was ordered to have sex with Napier on two other occasions when he visited Peter on the estate. They were obviously friends.”

Unknown to Darren, Righton was a founder of the Paedophile Information Exchange (PIE), which promoted sex with children, and Napier had been its treasurer.

Righton was using the estate as a bolthole because he had fled his home in Evesham, Worcestershire after being charged with possessing obscene images of children, for which he was convicted in 1992.

Last week, Exaro revealed how the troubled inquiry into child sex abuse is looking to hire 20 more barristers, prompting outrage among abuse survivors and their representatives.

Related Stories : Child sex abuse, ‘Fernbridge’ and ‘Fairbank’: Exaro story thread

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.